34 Mind Blowing Pictures That Will Shake Up Your Universe
Space scares the shit out of me. It’s too big to understand, too much to comprehend. While I enjoyed watching Intersteallar, I have literally no idea what happened and why. But, after reading this article I discovered that our solar system is ridiculously big and complex, but also seriously cool. Ready for lift off?
2. And this is where you live in your neighbourhood, the solar system.
3. Here’s the distance, to scale, between the Earth and the moon. Doesn’t look too far, does it?
4. THINK AGAIN. Inside that distance you can fit every planet in our solar system, nice and neatly.
5. But let’s talk about planets. That little green smudge is North America on Jupiter.
6. And here’s the size of Earth (well, six Earths) compared with Saturn.
7. And just for good measure, here’s what Saturn’s rings would look like if they were around Earth.
8. This right here is a comet. We just landed a probe on one of those bad boys. Here’s what one looks like compared with L.A.
9. But that’s nothing compared to our sun. Just remember…
10. Here’s you from the moon.
11. Here’s you from Mars.
12. Here’s you from behind Saturn’s rings.
13. And here’s you from just beyond Neptune, four billion miles away.
14. Here’s the size of Earth compared with the size of our sun. Terrifying, right?
15. And here’s that same sun from the surface of Mars.
16. There are more stars in space than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.
17. Which means that there are ones much, much bigger than little wimpy sun. Just look at how tiny and insignificant our sun is.
18. The biggest star, VY Canis Majoris, is 1,000,000,000 times bigger than our sun.
19. If you shrank the sun down to the size of a white blood cell and shrunk the Milky Way galaxy down using the same scale, the Milky Way would be the size of the United States, get your thinker around that!
20. That’s because the Milky Way galaxy is huge. This is where you live inside there.
21. But this is all you ever see.
22. But even our galaxy is a little runt compared with some others. Here’s the Milky Way compared to IC 1011, 350 million light years away from Earth.
23. In just this picture taken by the Hubble telescope, there are thousands and thousands of galaxies, each containing millions of stars, each with their own planets.
24. Here’s one of the galaxies pictured, UDF 423. This galaxy is 10 BILLION light years away. When you look at this picture, you are looking billions of years into the past.
25. And just keep this in mind — that’s a picture of a very small, small part of the universe. It’s just an insignificant fraction of the night sky.
26. Here’s the size of a black hole compared with Earth’s orbit, just to terrify you.
27. When life’s getting you down – always remember, this is your home…
28. This is what happens when you zoom out from your home to your solar system.
29. And this is what happens when you zoom out farther…
30. And a little bit farther…
31. Keep going…
32. A little more…
33. Almost there…
34. And here it is. Here’s everything in the observable universe, and here’s your place in it. Just a tiny little ant in a giant jar.
Well my mind has just well and truly be blown into a million pieces. I knew space was cool, but this is next level stuff. Let us know your thoughts on the article with a comment.